When Birding and Photography Colide
Photography is my passion and birding is my obsession! I guess you can call me a crazy Birdographer!
The fact is that I've been a photography nerd for as long as I can remember, but I've always struggled with the mechanics of the camera due mostly to lack of practice. In addition to being a wife and mother, I also run a business which includes publishing a lifestyle magazine (Victoria in Motion) focused on things going on in my community. In the course of putting together an article, I found myself on a birding tour of our local park which happens to be a birding hotspot. I viewed it as an opportunity to photograph some of our local wildlife, 'cause, come on, how difficult can shooting birds really be? Answer: Ridiculously difficult! Once I got over my frustration over the lousy photos I snapped, I got busy figuring out how to take better birds photos, and an obsession was born!
So, here's what I've discovered since I began this crazy adventure:
- Since birding "encourages" me to pick up my camera almost every day, I've learned more about photography in the last few years than I have my entire life!
- If you had asked me before I started taking bird photos how many different birds are in my neighborhood, I would have answered, "Four: Grackles, Mockingbirds, Sparrows, and Doves." I was wrong! I'm currently up to over 5 dozen different birds in my neighborhood alone! Check out my video to see some of my "neighborhood birds"
- Up close, birds are amazingly beautiful with tons of different colors, shades, and hues.
- Different birds have different personalities! Mockingbirds are photodivas and love to pose! Chickadees are incredibly social. Woodpeckers, when eating, are oblivious to their surroundings. Cardinals are very shy. And the list goes on and on...
- Last, I've discovered how much I enjoy exploring nature. Birding gives me a reason to hike and experience places that I might never have had reason to visit in the past. Whether it's looking up, down, or even straight ahead, we are surrounded by beauty and this crazy obsession has opened my eyes in a way I never expected!
All of the photos on this page were taken by me (mostly around Texas) and I'm currently shooting with a Nikon D500 and a Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens
Thank You For Visiting!
I appreciate you taking the time to visit my site! If you have any comments or questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a note, and be sure and like my Facebook page for current photos and information.